Initial Response to Brief
When I was told that I would have the opportunity to produce a short film to be properly assessed, I was very excited to be able to show off what I could do.
When thinking about what a short film really is, I came up with this definition: a film around 30 minutes in length which has a character driven narrative, a smaller cast of actors and a more personal feel.
Looking back on this definition, I feel that it is about half-right. Yes, the cast is smaller because a short film is traditionally cheaper and easier to produce than a feature film. Therefore, a smaller cast would work well in a short film - this would most likely then lead to a more personal feel than a feature with an large expansive cast. However, not all short films use a character driven narrative: for example The Fly (2014, Olly Williams) is not character driven, instead is driven by the character's reactions to a force beyond his control, the fly annoying him.
When thinking about what a short film really is, I came up with this definition: a film around 30 minutes in length which has a character driven narrative, a smaller cast of actors and a more personal feel.
Looking back on this definition, I feel that it is about half-right. Yes, the cast is smaller because a short film is traditionally cheaper and easier to produce than a feature film. Therefore, a smaller cast would work well in a short film - this would most likely then lead to a more personal feel than a feature with an large expansive cast. However, not all short films use a character driven narrative: for example The Fly (2014, Olly Williams) is not character driven, instead is driven by the character's reactions to a force beyond his control, the fly annoying him.
Comments
Post a Comment