Set Text: The Ellington Kid

The Ellington Kid (2012) by Dan Sully

Link to Film
What did I enjoy?

As a big fan of dark comedy, this film entertained me greatly with its dark underlying message but comedic approach to telling the story. The quick cut to the kid being stabbed, every time, without a doubt, makes me chuckle. It is like an Edgar Wright style cut in its quickness and absurdity.

The use of voice over was also used well, positioning as listeners to the story as opposed to involving with the unfolding events. This storytelling method is effective as it fits more comfortably into the dark comedy genre.

What did I find interesting?

The cyclical story. The way the film starts with the sound of scraping knives and ends the exact same way - and with an unsettling stare from the kebab store employee.

What could I challenge?

Its' flashback narrative structure is very by the books and so is the majority of the film. I would challenge the film's lack of challenging traditional film making standards.

What do I want to use?

There is one shot in particular which I would like to try and replicate and that is a long shot of the kid running through an underpass. The lines of the underpass converge on the middle of the screen, where the kid is walking. This draws our eyes to isolated character on screen and is extremely effective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Act Structure

Set Text: Slap