Practice (based on short story) -

INT. CAR - NIGHT

DAD and CARLY sit in their family car, a Volvo estate, as they drive down a long, straight and mostly uninteresting side road in the Shropshire countryside.

DAD puts one arm out the window and flings his head back to hit the head rest behind.

DAD // I can't believe they closed the motorway again!

CARLY // Well you know how shocking that road is.

DAD // It is pretty piss poor

CARLY // Piss poor? I break my back every time we drive down there.

DAD // But they always close it for 'repair issues' but it never seems any better.

CARLY // That's because of the Conservatives.

DAD // Damn right.

CARLY holds her hand out for DAD to high-five it but DAD takes no notice.

CARLY // You gonna leave me hanging?

DAD // Yeah. I think I will.

CARLY // God I hate you.

CARLY slumps back in her chair and crosses her arms.

DAD // Ah did someone not win at their game?

CARLY // Shut up.

The car falls into silence. As the drive continues, a small forest can be seen up ahead - in the dim headlights.

DAD // Wow something actually interesting to look at.

CARLY says nothing.

DAD (cont.) // Isn't this the forest where that girl was murdered?

CARLY // (sarcastically) No I believe it's where every woman is murdered. One day they'll come and take me and sacrifice me to the great God in the sky.

DAD // Who Bruce Forsyth?

CARLY laughs.

CARLY // Yes Dad, some druids are going to come and sacrifice me to Bruce Forsyth.

Coming up on the horizon is a young girl, aged around 25, waving her hands in the air. DAD sees the figure.

DAD // Is that a girl? Out here? At night?

CARLY // Um, yeah I think so.

DAD // Well what the hell is she doing here?

CARLY // I don't know, maybe her car broke down; maybe she got lost whilst walking; maybe she's going to wave us over and then pull a knife on us, order us out of the car and then we're going to be stranded.

DAD // Well no one is pulling a knife on my daughter.

DAD pushes on the accelerator.

CARLY // No Dad, I don't think she's going to attack us. Let's pull over and see what she wants.

DAD slowly lifts off the accelerator and begins to steer towards the side of the road. Eventually, the car rolls to a halt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Act Structure

Set Text: Slap