Set Text: The Arrival

The Arrival (2016) by Daniel Montanarini






What did I enjoy?

I loved how theatrical this short was: the way the film was presented was like we were audience members to a stage play and just watching the scene unfold from the one angle.

How the film starts with the camera looking in from the outside is something else I enjoyed as from the get-go, we understand that we are bystanders to the events on screen and are merely observers to what is happening.

What did I find interesting?

The visual cues throughout are very impressive if they are done to be in time with the monologue. Having the man only visible in the couple tells us that the protagonist is thinking about the male side of her relationship; the pushchair comes into view as she starts talking about pregnancy and her expecting a child; de-caff coffee instead of normal coffee is a subtle change but one which would be taken by someone who is pregnant.

What could I challenge?

I am a big fan of how this film is made and how the story is told so I can't really think of anyway I would change it. To me, the film could be a little bit shorter but then I wouldn't know what to cut.

What do I want to use?

My absolute favourite part of this is how the entire film consists of one slow zooming shot which is something I would really want to implement into my short film. Maybe not have one short for the entire duration, but one which takes up the majority of the run time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Act Structure

Set Text: Slap