Set Text: The Fly
The Fly (2014) by Olly Williams
What did I enjoy?
The film is shot in a good way. The driver is always in shot and the camera focuses on him constantly. This makes sense obviously because he is the main protagonist but the personal feel of the close up camerawork truly drives that relation between us and him home.
What did I find interesting?
Similar to Operator, a feature film wouldn't necessarily show this side of the situation: in this circumstance we are seeing the getaway driver of a bank heist as opposed to the actual bank heist.
What could I challenge?
I feel that the wacky methods of this man trying to kill this fly ramp up too quickly. Also, I know the intention of this short is to be outlandish and funny because of it but a man shooting a car with a shotgun to kill a fly isn't funny in this sense because we haven't had time to learn about the character. All I am seeing in this moment is a very angry man destroy a car.
If we spent time with the character beforehand we could learn that he is in fact a very calm and collected man but this fly clearly doesn't click with him and drives him into an extreme fit of rage. A short film just can't achieve this.
What do I want to use?
The final shot of this film is very final as we see these characters in a lot of trouble but with no way to escape. The end is very definite and nothing else is going to happen. I would like this closed ending with my film as well.
Comments
Post a Comment