Set Text: Tight Jeans
Tight Jeans (2008) by Destiny Ekharaga
What did I enjoy?
I loved the general look and aesthetics of this film: the opening shot of the three characters sitting on the wall is low, slow moving and wide - showing us a deprived council estate vs the three figures dressed in coloured hoodies and trousers.
What did I find interesting?
The camera is always moving throughout the short and although slow and uneventful, I do find this choice interesting.
I also can't deny the representation in this film: of both young black men and white women who as the film states 'are trying to be part of the black community'. The film is just three guys talking and what they talk about and the way they talk about it is very clearly a choice by Ekharaga who wants to make sure her voice is heard.
What could I challenge?
The film just consists of three men talking and nothing really happens. Whilst this can be effective to build character in feature-length films, in shorts I personally feel that nothing happening results in me thinking what's the point? Why would I watch this if nothing happens? Having some sort of inciting action other than some tight jeans would be good.
What do I want to use?
As previously mentioned, the establishing shot of the three men sitting on the wall is wonderful, the low angle, slow zoom and how large and central they are in frame show the audience that these three men are the main characters for this film. In one shot, the film tells us these details which is something I would want to do near the start of my film.
Comments
Post a Comment