Planning: The 5 Pages of Screenplay REDRAFT
FADE IN
INT. HOUSE - HALLWAY - NIGHT
The hallway is dark, a thin light trickles in from the kitchen and outside.
TITLE: Late / Traffic / Potatoes
The front door opens.
JACK is a smartly-dressed working man returning home after a gruelling day at his job. He appears visually exhausted, a sunken expression and shrugged body.
He walks towards the kitchen - where the light is coming from. He opens the door.
LINDSEY is a house wife, casual attire but with a serious stern look on her face. She has been preparing food for dinner and seems disappointed with Jack's appearance.
Lindsey
And what time do you call this?
And what time do you call this?
Jack
I know. I'm just as upset as you are.
I know. I'm just as upset as you are.
Lindsey
These potatoes have been on for too long now.
These potatoes have been on for too long now.
Jack
I'm sorry.
I'm sorry.
Lindsey
Yeah alright.
Yeah alright.
Lindsey walks toward the table as Jack walks in and closes the door.
Lindsey (cont.)
How was work then?
Jack
Hm?
Lindsey
Work? Where you've been for the past seven hours.
Jack
Yeah you know. Same old same old.
Lindsey
Wow. Real interesting Jack.
Lindsey puts food down on the table.
Lindsey (cont.)
Nothing all day?
Jack
Not really... actually, Janice was telling this story about an encounter she had with this goat.
Lindsey does not respond.
Jack (cont.)
So yeah... nothing interesting.
The two sit down at the table. Jack reaches his hand out across the table. Lindsey reluctantly places her hand on his.
Both
For what we are about to receive may the Lord make us truly thankful.
Jack
Amen.
Lindsey looks up at Jack distastefully.
Lindsey
Yeah.
They both start eating.
Jack
How was your day?
Lindsey
Productive. Fixed the washing line.
Jack
Didn't know it needed fixing.
Lindsey
Huh, that's funny, cause I remember you telling me it broke but you were gonna fix it.
Jack
No?
Lindsey
Last weekend, right before you went to the match.
Jack
Oh honey. It slipped my mind. Can I make it up to you?
Lindsey
Get home from work on time. That'd be great.
Jack
Babe we've been through this, I can't get home any quicker.
Lindsey
And why's that Jack? Bad at driving?
Jack
No it's traffic. And often I run over cause people need me.
Lindsey
Guess Janice needs you.
Lindsey puts food in her mouth. Jack stays silent.
Jack
(pause) I'm sorry.
Lindsey
(sarcastically) I'm sorry. Well you never seem to be.
Jack
How can you say that?
Lindsey
Cause it's the truth Jack. It's all I hear from you now.
Jack
I mean it babe. I can't promise everything but I try and get home as soon as possible... every night.
Lindsey
Why were you late tonight?
Jack
Honey. I said it was traffic.
Lindsey
Traffic? On the back roads?
Jack
I went the A3 home.
Lindsey
So you didn't try to get home quick tonight?
Lindsey pushes the food dish aside.
Jack
I thought it would be quicker.
Lindsey
We've been through this. It's not.
Jack
Okay. I get it.
Lindsey
Yeah? Just be home tomorrow.
Lindsey gets up to leave.
Jack
The potatoes are fine, I don't know what you're talking about.
Lindsey stops.
Lindsey
Excuse me?
Jack
The potatoes. They're really good. Don't know what you were talking about.
Jack goes to put a potato in his mouth. Lindsey turns and slaps the fork out of his hand.
Jack (cont.)
Why would you do that?
Lindsey
Don't you dare.
Jack
What have I done now?
Lindsey
I told you I wasn't happy with the potatoes.
Jack
But you shouldn't be.
Lindsey
Don't patronise me. If they're shit then they're shit.
Jack
They're not shit. I promise.
Jack goes to pick his fork up. Lindsey slams the table.
Lindsey
Don't. You. Dare.
Jack
Come on honey.
Lindsey
Don't you 'come on honey' me.
Jack
It's been a long day.
Lindsey
This...
Lindsey picks Jack's knife up and holds it to him.
Lindsey (cont.)
...this has been a long marriage.
Lindsey drops the knife and walks out the room. Jack is left sat in the corner of the room.
FADE OUT
Comments
Post a Comment